Our house is a crazy, lived-in mess. I spend my whole life tidying one room, just to come in and find the kids have trashed another one – arrrrgggghh! A random conversation with a friend on friday made me have a think about what I can reasonably expect the kids to help with. I got no sleep on friday night with so much stuff whizzing through my head, and ended up getting up at 6am to write it all down, then got side-tracked with tidying the kitchen…
I wrote a list of rules for each room, the jobs that need to be done, and when. There’s like 2 rules per room, and jobs are divided between us all. I went through them with E yesterday to see what she thought, and she didn’t seem to worried about, particularly when I added the bribery I was prepared to pay! I talked to H about it too, and she seemed to be ok with it too. So…we had a trial run. OMG what a difference it made. my kitchen was clean and tidy for breakfast this morning, the sitting room was tidy, and nobody even noticed that they’d done any work! It worked at breakfast again today too. I’ve got bribery lined up for today, and for the end of the week if we keep it up.
- after breakfast (wherever it is eaten – usually sitting rm), bowls to be returned to sink, cereal to cupboard, milk to fridge.
- before lunch and tea, 1 person to clear and clean table, 1 person to lay table, 1 person to make the food
- after lunch and tea, 1 person to clear food into the bin, 1 person to put unused food in fridge, 1 person to stack dishes by sink
- before tea 1 person to put all toys in a basket and take down to play room, 1 person to put books back on shelf, 1 person to put dvds back in drawer
- morning – wake up, have breakfast, clean teeth, get dressed, put PJs under pillow
- evening – get undressed, putting dirty clothes in wash basket, have bath, clean teeth, find PJs under pillow (!), stories, sleep
Wish us luck!